Celebrity Chef Sanjeev Kapoor has been honored with the Padma Shri Award by President Pranab Mukherjee for his contribution in the culinary section. A man who wears many hats, he is a chef, a host, author of cookbooks, a restaurant consultant and an entrepreneur all rolled into one. Sanjeev Kapoor has made innumerable contributions to the culinary field in India, but for starters, stating him as a reason a lot of people in India took to cooking professionally, would not be an over-statement by any measure. In fact he is the reason a lot of Indian men entered the kitchen and did so proudly.
So on the occasion of him being honored with the fourth highest civilian honour in the country, we will take you through some lesser known facts about this culinary genius:
- Sanjeev Kapoor’s TV show Khana Khazana is the longest running show of its kind in Asia and it broadcasts in roughly 120 countries.
- He launched his own channel, Food Food in January 2011.
- In 2001, he unveiled his first restaurant, The Yellow Chilli, which is now present in many major cities across India.
- In 2015, he was flown down to Abu Dhabi to prepare a vegetarian meal for Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- He was also a contestant on Jhalak Dikhla Jaa.
- He introduced a culinary art course at Symbiosis Institute of Management Studies, Pune in May 2016.
- He has been approached by the Indian Railways for the preparation of the menu of food items served on trains.
- Singapore Airlines recruited him as one of the members of its “International Culinary Panel”, helping to create a meal called Shahi Thali in 2006.
- Wonderchef, a kitchen appliance and cookware brand promoted by Sanjeev Kapoor, has raised Rs.40 crore from a French investor recently, for its expansion.
Catch the video footage of him receiving the honour at Rashtrapati Bhawan.
— FoodFood (@FoodFood) April 15, 2017