Earthquake , measuring 6.2 on richter scale hit island of Luzron in Philippines on Friday. No casualities were reported after the temblor struck. Quake struck at 1:28 PM , with an epicenter location of 2.5 KM from the northeast of Putol and at a depth of 168 KM. Putol is situated 73KM away from Manila.
The Philippines is located in the “Ring of Fire”, a region of high volcanic and seismic activity that is shaken by some 7,000 mostly moderate quakes. 2017 has been an year of earthquakes for Indonesia , with 9 earthquakes hitting the island country until now.
- 6.7 richter scale earthquake struck 10 km SW of Basilisa, Dinagat Islands on February 10, 2017, 10:03 pm at a depth of 15 km.
- Batangas experienced several earthquake and subsequent aftershocks in April 2017. A magnitude 5.5 earthquake struck 5 km W of Batangas on April 4, 2017, 8:58 pm at a depth of 82 km.
- Earthquake struck 74 km N 33°E of Palapag, Northern Samar on April 10, 2017, measuring 5.4 on Richter scale, at 8:43 am at a depth of 17 km.
- Earthquake struck 199 km S 54°E of Governor Generoso, Davao Oriental, with 5.7 magnitude, on April 10, 2017 at 6:38 pm at a depth of 43 km.
- A magnitude of 7.2 earthquake struck 47 km S 26° W of Sarangani and Davao Occidental provinces on April 29, 2017 at 4:23 am at a depth of 57 km.
- A magnitude 5.4 earthquake struck 2 km W 15° SW of San Narciso, Zambales on May 26, 2017 at 10:27 pm at a depth of 10 km. The quake was felt in nearby provinces including Metro Manila and some parts of Northern, Central and Southern Luzon.
- A magnitude 6.5 earthquake struck 3 km S 16° E of Jaro, Leyte on July 6, 2017 at 4:03 pm at a depth of 8 km. It caused island-wide blackouts in the provinces of Samar, Bohol, Leyte, and parts of Southern Leyte. In Kananga, a commercial building collapsed killing two persons and injuring 20 others. In Ormoc City, a landslide was triggered. One person was killed and more than 100 people are feared trapped.
- A magnitude 5.4 earthquake struck 3 km S 87° SE of Ormoc City, Leyte on July 10, 2017 at 9:41 am at a depth of 3 km. Dozen of high school students lost consciousness and fainted after the quake. Classes suspended in Ormoc City. This was an aftershock of the M6.5 that hit Jaro on July 6, 2017.
- A magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck 18 km S 36° W of Nasugbu, Batangas on August 11, 2017 at 1:28 pm at a depth of 177 km.