In the 21st season of the ongoing FIFA World Cup in Russia, Croatia is leading by a charismatic midfielder Luca Modric against Denmark in their pre-quarterfinal match in a crucial knockout match on Sunday. Croatia has not yet lost a single match in this World Cup so far and end with the second place in Group C. While Croatia was top of Group D. Denmark played draws with France and Australia, while registered a win against Peru, but it would have to stop a tough team like Croatia who defeated Argentina, Nigeria, and Iceland in their group matches. However, Croatia is also considered to be a very strong team in this tournament.
Facts and Figures
- Croatia can face Spain and Iniesta in the quarter-finals, but before this, the team will have to cross the Danish challenge in the final 16 in Nizhny Novgorod tomorrow.
- Denmark’s team is in second place in Group C. They have a star like Christian Ericson in midfield, and they will have to stop the biggest challenge before Croatia because Ericson is known for his excellent pass
- Modric and Ericson will not field in a direct fight, but which of these two is better control of the ball, it can prove to be crucial for their teams.
- Modric has a great companion like Reykjetic, which makes Croatia’s foot a bit heavier in midfield.
- In last six years from Real Madrid, Modric won four Champions League titles and also won La Liga and Copa de Re tournament.
- In March 2006, after Croatia made a debut against Argentina in the friendly match, his team was eliminated from the group stage of the World Cup twice, while in 2010, they failed to qualify for the tournament.
- In the European Championship, Croatia’s team did not cross the first barrier after the group stage in 2008 and 2016, while the group was out in the 2012 stage.
- Iniesta has been getting regular placements in the game’s giant and he has played a key role in Spain’s success, but Modric’s talent has not introduced much appreciation. Iniesta scored a winning goal from Spain in the final of the 2010 World Cup, while Modric has failed to achieve such success with Croatia.
- Four years with Iniesta in Barcelona and 11 years of playing with Modric from Croatia for Reykjavik, these two top playmakers of the modern era are in a good position to compare.
Matchday ?? ? ?? #WorldCup pic.twitter.com/D10Y4deSSZ
— Ivan Rakitic (@ivanrakitic) July 1, 2018
Predicted lineup (4-3-3): Subasic; Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Strinic; Rakitic, Brozovic, Modric; Rebic, Mandzukic, Perisic.
Predicted lineup (4-2-3-1): Schmeichel; Dalsgaard, Kjaer, Zanka, Larsen; Christensen, Delaney; Poulsen, Eriksen, Sisto; Jorgensen.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in 6 of Denmark‘s last 7 games.
- Croatia have won 5 of their last 6 matches
- It is the second time after 1998, Croatia has reached the knockout stages of the World Cup. There best ever performance came in 1998 at a major tournament when they ended with the third position.
- Denmark is undefeated in their last 12 matches.
Croatia 1-2 Denmark
Leave a Comment