Supreme Court Chief Justice Dipak Mishra, in the matter of the Legislature Justice Anil Baijal and Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, in the judgment of the Constitution Bench, said that Delhi cannot be given the stature of full state status. Out of the constitutional bench of 5 judges, 3 judges have ratified it. The judge said that powers can not stay centered on one place. The Chief Justice said that democratic value is the biggest in the country. After the Supreme Court’s decision, CM Arvind Kejriwal described it as a victory of democracy. Kejriwal said, “The Supreme Court’s decision is the victory of the people of Delhi.”
Know the Supreme Court verdict
- The situation of Delhi is different from the rest of the Union Territories and the full states, so all should work together.
- The Lieutenant-Governor does not have any right, so he should work with the advice of the Delhi Cabinet.
- The court said that the government elected by the public is responsible for accountability only for work.
- The balance of rights is essential in both the Lt Governor and the Chief Minister. Both should work together in harmony.
- It is the responsibility of everyone to respect the constitution, we are not different from it. The Lieutenant Governor is the administrative head, but he can not stop every cabinet decision.
- States also have freedom in the federal structure. Center and states should work together.
- To hold the cabinet decision is not right, if there is a dispute then it is right to go to the President.
- Except for land, police and law and order, the center has exclusive rights, Delhi Government should be allowed to make laws and administer the law in other cases.
- The Delhi Assembly makes the decision that it does not require the consent of the Lieutenant Governor
- The cabinet is accountable to the Parliament and Our parliamentary system. States also have freedom in the federal structure. Center and states should work together.
Addressing the media after the verdict, Delhi’s Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia said that he is happy with this decision and this is the historic comment of the Supreme Court, no files will be sent anymore. He said that the Government of Delhi has all the powers existing except by leaving 3 subjects.