Onam Sadya menu is the special food made on the festival of Onam 2017 in Chennai, Mumbai or Bangalore. The menu include steamed rice with Kootan including curries like Olan, Pachadi, Kaalan, Avial, Koottukari, Parippu, Rasam, Sambar, Pulisseri, Thoran, Kichadi, Erissery, Mango pickle, Pulinji, lime pickle, Papadam, sharkara upperi, plantain chips, plain curd, banana and buttermilk.
Ingredients:1 Pumpkin, 3/4 Black Eyed Beans, 2-3 Green Chillies, 1 tbps Coconut Oil, 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds, 1 cup Coconut Milk, Salt to taste, few curry leaves
- Soak the Black Eyed Beans for 2-3 hours and pressure cook with 2-3 whistles until soft .
- Add pumpkin cubes, chopped chillies and salt to taste into a pan with 1 cup water and cook on a low flame until soft. Now add Coconut Milk and adjust water ensuring gravy is of right consistency. Cook for 4-5 minutes on low flame.
- Heat Coconut Oil add mustard seeds wait for it to pop and add to curry. Serve the dish in a bowl.
Pineapple / Beetroot Pachadi Recipe
Ingredients:1 Beetroot / Pineapple, 1/4 Turmeric powder, 1 cup curd, 4 Green chillies, 1 tsp Mustard seeds, 1 cup coconut, 1 inch Ginger, 1 tsp Cumin seeds, 1 cup water, 1 tbsp Coconut oil, few curry leaves, Salt to taste
- Cook Pineapple / Beetroot with turmeric powder, salt and water in a pan.
- Grind coconut, 1/2 tsp mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ginger and chillies make a paste and add to the pan cook for another 5-7 minutes on a medium flame. Later add curd to the pan and mix well.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. Pour it over the Pineapple / Beetroot Pachadi. Serve with steamed rice.
Ingredients:1 cup Raw Banana, 250 gm Yam,1/2 tsp pepper powder, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 tsp powdered Fenugreek seeds, 1/2 cup grated coconut, 2 cup curd, 1 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds, salt as required
- Pressure cook raw banana and yam with pepper powder, salt, turmeric powder and water for 1 whistle make sure all water evaporates.
Mash the mixture and add curd cook on low flame till it starts thickening. Add grated coconut cook on low flame and remove from heat.
Heat a tbsp of coconut oil, add mustard seeds when they pop add fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and pour it over the mixture. And Serve it with hot rice.
Ingredients:1 cup Ash gourd (petha), 1 cup yam (Suran), 1 cup Pumpkin (kaddu), 1 cup Carrot, 6-7 Beans, 1 cup Potato, 1 cup Raw plantain, curry leaves, 1/2 tsp pepper powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1/2 cup grated coconut,1 cup curd, 1 Tbsp coconut oil, 1/4 tsp mustard seeds, salt as required
- Pressure cook all the vegetables including Ash gourd (petha), yam (Suran), Pumpkin (kaddu), Carrot, Beans, Potato, Raw plantain add salt and turmeric powder for 2 whistles or can cook in open pan as well until the veggies get soft.
- Add the grated coconut paste, pepper powder and cook for a few minutes.
- Add curd and cook for 1-2 minutes. After that heat coconut oil, curry leaves and mustard seeds until they splutter. Pour it over the veggies and serve it hot with rice.