The opposition has appointed Gopalkrishna Gandhi their candidate for Vice President election as the opposition was intending to not to repeat the mistake of delaying the announcement of their candidate for Presidential election. Know about him
- Gopal Krishna Gandhi is the grandson of Mahatma Gandhi and another freedom fighter Chakravarti Rajagopalachari. He was born on April 22, 1945.
- He completed his Masters in English literature from St. Stephens college and then became an IAS officer. In 1985 he bacame Secretary to the Vice President than in 1987 he served as Joint Secretary to President and than he baceme Secratary of President in 1997.
- Then he turned into a bureaucrat and served as He was the High Commissioner for India to South Africa and Lesotho in 1996, Sri Lanka in 2000. He was the Ambassador of India to Norway and Iceland in 2002. He was also a Minister (Culture) in the High Commission of India in Britain
- He bcame the Governor of West Bengal in 2004 for 5 years.
- He is a novelist too, he has written a novel on Sri Lanka’s Tamil plantation workers and a play in verse on Dara Shikoh. and apart from that, he translated Vikram Seth’s A Suitable Boy into Hindi.
After the announcement of his name he said that his candidature is not against any individual, any candidate or any political groups. But his candidature will be against suspicion, hatred. He sees his candidature for the spirit of India’s integrity and India’s pluralistic intelligence.