Krishna Janmashtami is also known as Janmashtami is a hindu festival which is celebrated every year as it marks the birth of Lord Krishna who is believed to be the eight avatar of Lord Vishnu. It is basically observed according to the Hindu luni-solar calendar on the eight day of the Krishna Paksha in the month of Shravana which overlaps with August and September. It is an important festival particularly to the Vaishnav tradition.
On this auspicious day, people perform dance, drama and many more activities to celebrate the birth of Krishna. It is believed that Lord Krishna was born in the midnight and therefore people sing devotional songs through the midnight followed by fasting, jagarana and many more things as a part of the festival. It is celebrated particularly in Mathura and Brindavan, along with major Vaishnava communities found in Manipur, Assam, West Bengal, Odisha, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Gujarat, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh and other regions.
Janmashtami is known to be the largest festival in the Braj region of North India such as Mathura where Hindu tradition says that Krishna was born and in Vrindavan he grew up. Krishna temples are decorated and lighted up, they attract numerous visitors on the day, while Krishna devotees hold bhakti events and keep night vigil.
Now lets have a look at the Janmashtami songs and Bhajans:
- Mere to Girdhar Gopal is a song which touches the devotees hearts deeply. It is a song from the movie Meera and has been crooned by Vani Jairam.
2. Govinda Ala Re Ala is one of the songs sung on this occasion of Janmashtami. The song is from the movie Bluffmaster and has been crooned by Mohd. Rafi
3. Ek Radha Ek Meera is a very famous song which showcases the love of both the women for Krishna. The song is from the movie Ram Teri Ganga Maili and is sung by Lata Mangeshkar
4. Shyam Teri Bansi Pukare Radha ram is a very famous song for this occasion from the movie Geet Gaata Chal and has been crooned by Aarti Mukherjee and Jaspal Singh
5. Yashomati Maiyaa Se is a song which makes a comparison between Radha and Krishna in terms of their complexion. A very touchy song from the movie Satyam Shivam Sundaram and has been crooned by Padmini Kolhapuri
We wish all our readers a very Happy Janmashtami!!